Monday, November 27, 2023

Fixin' The Deck Part 6

At the end of the last post, I had (I thought) installed about eight boards permanently, and another eleven temporarily, in preparation for a major storm. Well, that was about a week ago now, and we're back to blue skies and a very pleasant 65 F/18 C. 

What else? Well, there is also a pretty obvious low point in the section of the deck which I thought was finished....clearly the shims were not installed correctly in this area! 


I have been inspecting the garage ceiling periodically during the rain and I could not see any evidence of water intrusion, so that was a good start. When I peeled back the old roof, the area below was dry:


This is a bit later. I have lifted all the boards I installed last time around and started modifying the shims. Corrections of up to 1/2 an inch were required in places before I was happy that the slope was uniform. I'm not sure what happened the first time, but I was working in a rush, so I'm not completely surprised there were some errors.


First board back in place, correctly sloped this time, and I used the laser to make sure it was absolutely straight:


By dusk I had the first three boards installed:


Next morning, I was back at it. First, I installed another board...


Then I re-made the aluminum flashing at the junction with the double doors. It came out much better the second time:


After that I added another two (2) boards for a total of seven (7), and then I had to break off for the day.


The next bits of the project were accomplished over several days during the Thanksgiving Holiday. We laid down two (2) more boards, after carefully re-adjusting all the shims.


Then we had to pause to install blocking at the perimeter in the area where the next post will be situated, and some more shims:


Carried on installing boards. Shims were checked and/or adjusted between every board since the basic structure slopes in several different directions. We had finalized twelve (12) boards in total by the end of the day. This is somewhat slow progress, but we have been taking care to make sure each board is straight and sloped correctly and have not been pushing the pace.


This left a gap to the wall that was a bit bigger than the width of two (2) boards. This entire area was carefully shimmed, and the old flashing was removed from the base of the siding.


Installed two (2) full boards....


The last board before the office wall has to be L-shaped. The cuts were made with the circular and jigsaws.


This is after the board and the new flashing have been installed:


We got one more board laid down before we packed up for a total of 16. This is as far as we can go without tearing up more of the old roof.


So that's what we did next:


Pushed over another post:


One of my two favorite assistants was around to lend a hand with a lot of this work. 


Next segment well and truly removed!


Started installing the base shims which are fashioned from 2" x 4" lumber and installed twelve (12) inches on center. Additional shims will be required on top to set the correct slope of the deck boards.


But installing the final shims was not on the agenda at this point in the operation because the end of our vacation was looming. Instead, we worked on covering the newly exposed section with deck boards. Just like before, these boards were installed with just a couple of screws in each board and no attention paid to whether they were straight. Both of my favorite assistants were on hand for this section of the project:


Halfway there...

After that it was a mad rush to get the rest of the boards loosely installed and the old roof covering heaved back into place, so I didn't stop to take photos.


The next day we had a few hours to kill in the morning, so we turned our attention to the backyard. All the construction debris that has been generated has been thrown off the deck onto the rear patio, so by this point there was a mountain. A lot of the plywood panels are worth hanging onto for future projects, but there was a lot of other crap which will need to go to landfill:


This last photo was taken in the front yard after getting cleaned up. It was another gorgeous day without a cloud in the sky. Not the sort of conditions our guests are used to at the end of November!

No comments:

Post a Comment