Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Fixin' The Deck Part 8

It was a beautiful mid-December Saturday morning, and Amy and all the little Sheep were elsewhere. Not at the time of writing, obviously, but at the time of doing! Outside on the deck there was a gentle breeze and very little background noise at all. So, I went back inside the house and collected my new cordless power planer:


Work so far has mainly consisted of adding shims to the deck substructure....

...and making repairs to the damaged sections:

I'm at the point now where I need to switch to removing material rather than adding it....and this means I need a new power tool! There's not much I don't have at this point, but a power plane is one of those few things. I had to recess the nails with a large punch before I could get to work with the plane:


I'm working my way out to the far corner, which means I am going through the process of lifting more sections of plywood....

had to remove these nails myself...

...and planing down the substructure, a couple of joists at a time. The corner is the low point, so there was a lot of material to remove:


Not to mention significant repairs to the area where the corner post was located: 

before...

....after

Once the repair was complete, I was able to advance the decking to the corner. 


After that it was more planing...


...advancing the decking and more planing....


Where there was more than half an inch to plane off, I made cuts with the circular saw and followed up with either a hammer and chisel or just a hammer before I came back with the plane:


Discovered some more damage at the rim joist:


Brought the upper edge down to the correct position:


Cut out all the rotten wood. 


Filled-in the void the next morning. I've been lucky that we have had almost ten dry days in a row while this portion of the work has been going on. 

More planing while the sun shines...


Getting closer to the last bit or the old roof:


Made it! I have been installing the boards with just one or two screws, so they will for sure have to come up again to be caulked and properly installed. For now, I have to cover up the gap between the new deck and the old roof and prepare for rain...


Layers of plywood and caulk installed....fingers crossed!


To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment