I think I said we were all done installing pipe. Turns out we weren't. It is not really obvious in the above photo, but each of the pipes we installed is located uphill from the area it will irrigate. Putting the incoming water at the bottom of the slope leads to a significant loss of pressure at the top.
We know this because the pipe which feeds our artichoke bed is so configured. The plants at the top of the hill did not get enough water last year and bore little fruit. Since we had all the tools and materials on hand, I had Amy set to work on digging a suitable trench inside the fence for our uphill extension:
I installed the additional section of 3/4 inch diameter schedule 40 PVC pipe and connected it to the existing incoming line.
Re-wind two days, and it's time to eliminate the leaks at the control valves and build an access box. This is the set up before the pressure regulator was added to the incoming line:
A somewhat complex solution was to build an extended framework to support the two boxes. The structure stands on a parallel pair of 4" x 4" skids and is entirely construed from treated lumber. I do not need to access the PVC pipes; I just need to make sure to build around them.