Monday, June 17, 2019

Paint Booth

I wanted to build a small paint booth in the workshop where I could use my airbrush. Most of the paint I use is water-based acrylic, but some of it isn't, and the primer I use is pretty obnoxious. I made a trial booth out of a few scrap pieces of plywood and some masking tape. It was ok, but it wasn't very well vented, and it was a bit dark.


The paint preparation area needed a bit of a re-think as well.


I decided to move the booth into the space next to my bench grinder.


I had to modify the bench in this area, but it is an ideal location because I already installed an overhead LED light, and it is right in front of a ventilation opening.


Mocked-up the new booth - basically the same bits of plywood, but modified to accommodate a standard 20" x 25" furnace air-filter, and with a large opening in the top panel to let the light in.


I took the booth apart and installed a cheap bathroom extractor fan and a short piece of ducting which is routed to the exterior, and then taped over the rest of the vent opening.


I re-built the paint booth around the fan after cutting a suitable opening in the rear panel.


I covered the top of the booth with a sheet of ⅛ inch Plexiglas.


I even managed to sort out the paint prep station.


After a bit of testing, I can confirm it works really well. I can spray whatever paint I like and not smell it anywhere in the house. Yay!


....and the paint prep station is looking a bit more like its old self!


No comments:

Post a Comment