Monday, June 3, 2019

Redwood Drill Press

I wanted a drill press for my workshop. Or "tut' pillar drill" as my grandfather would have called it. Luckily I got one for my birthday! After a LOT of back-and-forth, I ended up with a floor-standing model which can double up as a spindle sander, although I'm not sure if I'll ever really use that feature.

I had to carry the drill press down to the workshop in pieces. I started by putting the column and base together. It wasn't very stable. The manual recommends bolting it to the concrete floor, but I don't want to do that until I'm sure I don't want to move it, and I don't have the tools anyway. 


I think most people would have built a base out of steel, but my go-to material has always been wood. Huh...huh...wood! I got started by gluing up some pieces of scrap redwood lumber that were knocking about innt tut' 'shop. They were leftover from a project I'll be writing about soon.


I put a piece of pine trim around the perimeter - glued and screwed of course - and fastened it to the drill base with a couple of ½ inch bolts. 


Came out very solid. You couldn't knock it down wit' a barge pole. So I went upstairs to empty t' tash pan ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment