Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Temple Newsham Golf Club

I've been fortunate to inherit two of my Grandmother's paintings. One of them was given to me without a frame - this painting actually hung in my parents dining room for probably twenty years, but apparently never had a proper frame.

The painting shows the clubhouse at Temple Newsam Golf Club. I think it was probably painted in the late 1960s. The clubhouse is still there today, although the entrance has been changed around to make it accessible to all, and the windows have been replaced with modern double glazing. It's an odd shaped building which is actually very well represented in the painting.

The golf club recently fought off permanent closure when Leeds City Council tried to convert both golf courses into cycle parks; the eventual compromise left two new course layouts: a reduced 18-hole circuit and a much smaller 9-hole half-round. Personally I can see the advantage of a short course. I've only played proper golf once, but by about hole thirteen I was in serious need of a strong cuppa tea and a new upper body.


The Covid-19-related slowdown in my business (and every other one too of course) means I have some extra time to tinker int 'shop, and I decided to invest some of this time in knocking up a decent frame for Grandma's painting. I want to hang this in my bedroom near to another of her paintings. I found a piece of 2" x 1" black walnut left over from another project,* and I cut it into several ½" x ⅜" strips on the table saw - this painting needs a narrow, understated frame.


I cut a rebate on the router table, which gave some square edge molding close to what I was looking for.


I cut a tiny bevel on the leading edge - this softens the molding and makes it look slightly narrower.


The miters were glued and pinned with what Amazon calls "V-nails." They were wedges in my day, and you installed them with an underpinner. I left the frame in clamps overnight, although this is probably not necessary.


The next day I applied walnut wood filler to the corners and when that was cured and sanded, I wiped on some polyurethane.


This is how it looks on the wall:


The "Lamp Light" painting is hanging in the same room:


*(Regular readers can probably guess which one!).

No comments:

Post a Comment